Historically Longstanton was predominantly an agricultural community dominated by a manorial system and Lords of the Manor until the Hatton Estate was finally broken up and sold in 1874. Prior to this land ownership within the village would have been in the hands of the few, whilst a few small-holders would have existed. Most villagers up until WW2 would have been employed on the farms of Longstanton or on other local horticultural holdings. Longstanton station in the 19th Century and early 20th Century played an important part in the transport of agricultural and horticultural produce from surrounding villages into city markets.
There are a number of farms in Longstanton and some of them are listed below. This list is not exhaustive and new farms and information will be added as it comes in.