Summary – The Burgoynes of Longstanton – Lord of the Manors and Lawyers
The Burgoyne family probably came to England from the Burgundy area of France and were living in Cambridgeshire by the 14thcentury, if not before. Family members over the generations often trained to be lawyers and, being upwardly mobile, seized every opportunity by fair means or foul to elevate their social status. Indeed the Burgoynes of Longstanton achieved this aim and became lords of most of the manors there. It was through marriage into the Burgoyne family that the Hattons came to the village and became lords of the manors in turn.
Burgoynes – Family Tree – Summary
John Burgoyne of Dry Drayton died in 1435. His son, Thomas Burgoyne, of Impington and London, was a lawyer and achieved high status, becoming Undersheriff of London. Thomas married twice, secondly to Alice Tay and had a son, Thomas, by her. When Thomas died in 1470 he willed his part of Colvilles manor in Longstanton to this son. This son, Thomas, married to Alice Booth and was occupying another of the manors in Longstanton – Cheyneys – by 1473. The Cheyney lords of the manors in the village tried to stop the Burgoynes entering into what they considered to be their Colvilles estate. However a Thomas Burgoyne was resident there by 1507. Christopher Burgoyne, one of sons of Thomas who died in 1507, also lived in the village, probably until he died in 1561. Christopher’s son, George, lived in Clothall; however George’s son, Thomas Burgoyne, returned to Longstanton for a while at least. However, some of his property in the village was delivered to his creditors in the 1890s, and the association of the Burgoyne family with Longstanton ceased. Christopher Burgoyne also had a daughter, Tomazin, who married Robert Shute of Oakington. It was through the marriage of their daughter, Jane Shute, to John Hatton that the Hattons came to live in Longstanton.
Houses, Churches, Manors and Disputes
Houses: The first Burgoynes to reside in Longstanton – Thomas and Alice – were tenants occupying Cheyneys manor by 1473. The house named ‘The Manor’ at Woodside, Longstanton All Saints, is thought to have been Cheyneys manor house in the past, and dendrochronology revealed that it was built in the second half of the 15thcentury. As the Cheyney lords of the manor were not living in the village at that time, it seems likely that their high-status Burgoyne tenants were responsible for building the old part of this house. How long the Burgoynes lived there is not clear as, by 1507, they were residing in their part of Colvilles manor, and possibly lived in the Colvilles manor house that used to be sited to the east of the village, near Bacon Dole. However, later on Christopher Burgoyne seems to have moved to live north of All Saints church, building the manor house there that was said to date from the 1560s, which formed the basis of the Hattons mansion house (now demolished and the site occupied by the school) which was part of Colvilles manor.
Churches: The Lord of Colvilles manor also gained the advowson of St Michael’s church (ie the right to appoint the rector). After disputes with the Cheyneys over the advowson the Burgoynes appointed the rectors from 1506. In various wills they asked to be buried in St Michael’s church and a brass plaque in Latin to a Thomas Burgoyne can still be found in the church today. However, Christopher Burgoyne became associated with All Saints church and it is possible that he was buried in the vaults below the church.
Manors and Disputes: As noted above, the Cheyneys disputed the right of the Burgoynes to their part of Colvilles manor in the village, but the Burgoynes must have won this dispute as they were resident by 1507. Christopher Burgoyne also gained Campes manor after a dispute with the Vaux who inherited the Cheyneys’ lands by marriage in 1538. In addition, Christopher Burgoyne and his descendants leased the All Saints rectory estate.
The Hattons gained the manors of the Burgoynes by two routes: Firstly, by inheritance, after the death of Jane Hatton (nee Shute) in 1626 (which presumably included the manor house north of All Saints church); and secondly through Jane’s second husband, Henry Holford, who gained land from Thomas Burgoyne’s creditors and gave this to his Hatton step-sons.
* Victoria County Histories – A History of Cambridgeshire, Vol IX, section on Longstanton, Cambridgeshire Public Libraries
* Cheyneys Manor House Unmasked by H A E Stroude and J Lane, Cambridgeshire County Record Office
* The Sign of the Talbot by H A E Stroude and J Lane, Cambridgeshire County Record Office