This section will contain information that relates to both Longstanton; Oakington & Westwick and the landscape in which they are set (the fen-edge). On one side of these villages lies the fens; to the west the old Roman road of Via-Devana and beyond that ” the hills” that stretch from Lolworth; Bar-Hill and Dry Drayton out towards Papworth and the A428.
An understanding of the history of any village requires an understanding of the area in which it is located. No village ever existed in isolation from either its neighbours or the landscape that surrounds it. We will upload information here that will help put Longstanton & District into context.
- Geology And Early Habitation Of Longstanton & District
- The Natural Landscape of Longstanton & District
- Archaeology & The Historic Environment
- General History
- The Fen Edge
- William The Conqueror
- The Conqueror Versus Hereward The Wake (& Domesday Book)
- The Conqueror Versus Hereward The Wake & Ely
- Domesday Book ( An Introduction)
- The Black Death